Thursday 3 October 2013

Moodboards

In today's lecture we were introduced to our first module, which is entitled 'Visual Awareness'. The first section of this module is based around moodboards, and their use within industry. Therefore, within today's seminar we carried out a moodboard task following a brief that was provided prior to the seminar.

Brief:


Could you please make sure that you are prepared for the mood board activity on Thursday October 3rd 2013.
You will be making a new mood board (mixed media) and you will need the following materials:   
·      Old magazines,
·      newspapers,
·      photos,
·      drawings, etc.
·      anything else that might be useful for the Mood Board workshop.
You will also need:  
·      1 Sheet of A3 White Card  
·      Glue (Pritt Stick type) and or Tape (Masking, Electrical, Parcel, etc.) 
·      Assorted collage materials (if you have them!)
·      Fabric swatches, etc. 

Mood board Topic: My Favourite Fashion Brand/Designer

When collecting material for your mood board, please think about the following:

·      Key colour schemes which may crop up / signature motifs?
·      Are there any overriding themes? Is there an identifiable mood or personality?
·      Are there any other key influences on the brand such as artists or designers referenced?
·      Consider any other cultural and contextual references outside of fashion such as literature, film, music or politics.

My Moodboard

The designer I chose to base my moodboard on was Alexander McQueen, my all-time favourite designer. To sourced the images for moodboard from several different places; firstly, I used magazine advertisements and articles from Interview, Pop, Hunger and Vogue magazines, collecting anything that advertised or included McQueen's clothing, as well as pictures from other brands/designers that have created something in a similar style/with a similar theme. Secondly, I collected images from Google, and thirdly, I photocopied images out of my own books, including 'Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation'.  
During the seminar we were encouraged to play around with the layout, images used, colour themes and image size. To do this I arranged and re-arranged my moodboard several times, to make sure that I thoroughly considered the placement of each individual element in order to create the perfect tone and mood to reflect my chosen designer. We we're not allowed to use anything with the brand or designers name on within our moodboards, so this made the layout and the consequent mood/tone of our work even more important. 
Below are images of some of my trial layouts, which I documented using my iPhone camera so that I could refer back to previous versions and adapt elements I did or didn't like.



 Final Moodboard

Below is an image of my final finished moodboard:


No comments:

Post a Comment